Basic Operational Concepts & Functional Units
1. The decoded instruction is stored in ______ .
Explanation: The instruction after obtained from the PC, is decoded and operands are fetched and stored in the IR.
2. The instruction -> Add LOCA,R0 does,
a) Adds the value of LOCA to R0 and stores in the temp register
b) Adds the value of R0 to the address of LOCA
c) Adds the values of both LOCA and R0 and stores it in R0
d) Adds the value of LOCA with a value in accumulator and stores it in R0
3. Which registers can interact with the secondary storage ?
Explanation: MAR can interact with secondary storage in order to fetch data from it.
4. During the execution of a program which gets initialized first ?
Explanation: For the execution of a process first the instruction is placed in the PC.
5. Which of the register/s of the processor is/are connected to Memory Bus ?
d) Both a and b
Explanation: MAR is connected to the memory BUS in order to access the memory.
6. ISP stands for,
a) Instruction Set Processor
b) Information Standard Processing
c) Interchange Standard Protocol
d) Interrupt Service Procedure
7. The internal Components of the processor are connected by _______ .
a) Processor intra-connectivity circuitry
b) Processor bus
c) Memory bus
Explanation: The processor BUS is used to connect the various parts in order to provide a direct connection to the CPU.
8. ______ is used to choose between incrementing the PC or performing ALU operations .
a) Conditional codes
c) Control unit
d) None of these
Explanation: The multiplexer circuit is used to choose between the two as it can give different results based on the input.
9. The registers,ALU and the interconnection between them are collectively called as _____ .
a) Process route
b) Information trail
c) information path
d) data path
Explanation: The Operational and processing part of the CPU are collectively called as data path.
10. _______ is used to store data in registers .
a) D flip flop
b) JK flip flop
c) RS flip flop
d) none of these
11. The ______ format is usually used to store data .
Explanation : The data usually used by computers have to be stored and represented in a particular format for ease of use.
12. The 8-bit encoding format used to store data in a computer is ______ .
Explanation: The data to be stored in the computers have to be encoded in a particular way so as to be provide secure processing of the data.
13. A source program is usually in _______ .
a) Assembly language
b) Machine level language
c) High-level language
d) Natural language
Explanation: The program written and before being compiled or assembled is called as a source program.
14. Which memory device is generally made of semi-conductors ?
c) Floppy disk
d) Cd disk
Explanation: Memory devices are usually made of semi conductors for faster manipulation of the contents.
15. The small extremely fast, RAM’s are called as _______ .
Explanation: These small and fast memory devices are compared to RAM because they optimize the performance of the system and they only keep files which are required by the current process in them.
16. The ALU makes use of _______ to store the intermediate results .
Explanation: The ALU is the computational center of the CPU. It performs all the mathematical and logical operations. In order to perform better it uses some internal memory spaces to store immediate results.
17. The control unit controls other units by generating ____ .
a) Control signals
b) Timing signals
c) Transfer signals
d) Command Signals
Explanation: This unit is used to control and coordinate between the various parts and components of the CPU.
18. ______ are numbers and encoded characters, generally used as operands .
d) Stored Values
19. The Input devices can send information to the processor,
a) When the SIN status flag is set
b) When the data arrives regardless of the SIN flag
c) Neither of the cases
d) Either of the cases
Explanation: The input devices use buffers to store the data received and when the buffer has some data it sends it to the processor.
20. ______ bus structure is usually used to connect I/O devices .
a) Single bus
b) Multiple bus
c) Star bus
Explanation: BUS is a bunch of wires which carry address,control signals and data. It is used to connect various components of the computer.
21. The I/O interface required to connect the I/O device to the bus consists of ______ .
a) Address decoder and registers
b) Control circuits
c) Both a and b
d) Only b
Explanation: The I/O devices are connected to the CPU via BUS and to interact with the BUS they’ve a interface.
22. To reduce the memory access time we generally make use of ______ .
b) Higher capacity RAM’s
Explanation: The time required to access a part of the memory for data retrieval.
23. ______ is generally used to increase the apparent size of physical memory .
a) Secondary memory
b) Virtual memory
Explanation: Virtual memory is like an extension to the existing memory.
24. MFC stands for,
a) Memory Format Caches.
b) Memory Function Complete.
c) Memory Find Command.
d) Mass Format Command.
Explanation: This is a system command enabled when a memory function is completed by a process.
25. The time delay between two successive initiation of memory operation _______ .
a) Memory access time
b) Memory search time
c) Memory cycle time
d) Instruction delay
Explanation: The time taken to finish one task and to start another.